Best and Worst Foods for Heart Health
Someone suggested they would like to see a list of foods that are bad for your heart.
I think that’s an excellent request. Part of my intentions here are to make things easy to understand and provide great information very quickly.
I’ve already created some lists of good and bad foods for heart health. This will be a more complete list.
Best Foods for Heart Health
1. Salmon and Sardines
5. Most Fruits and Vegetables
6. Eggs (in moderation)
7. Olive Oil
8. Nuts, especially walnuts and almonds
10. Legumes such as chickpeas, lentils, black beans, kidney beans
11. Flaxseed (high in EPA Omega 3 fatty acid)
12. Brown Rice
13. Sweet potatoes
14. Dark chocolate (70% or more cocoa)
15. Green Tea
Worst Foods for Heart Health
1. Soda pop
2. French fries
3. Potato chips (Baked are better)
4. Fast food burgers
6. Processed food like store bought cookies and cakes
7. Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (Trans Fat)
8. Hot dogs
9. White bread
10. Many frozen meals such as TV dinners and frozen pizzas
11. Food additives
12. Flavor enhancers
13. Processed meat
There are thousands and thousands of items to buy in restaurants and grocery stores. Know the types of food that are good and bad rather than trying to memorize individual items. There are some general rules you can follow to help you with this. Here they are…
- Buy less processed foods. The more processed the food the worse it is. Raw fruits and vegetables are great and totally unprocessed.
- Buy more of the foods around the outside walls of the grocery stores and less from the inside isles. The inside isles contain mostly boxed and processed foods.
- Replace white bread with whole wheat whenever possible.
- Avoid trans fat which is partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
- Avoid junk food and fast food.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
I’ve searched the internet over and over for the best and worst foods for heart health. Everything on the list above is included on many lists. There’s not much disagreement about what’s good and bad.
Now that you know what to eat and what not to eat it’s time to take action and do the right thing to help your heart.